Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'd Lyin' if I Said I Didn't Like to Lie In

I used to work at home which is like flexi-time plus. I could get out of bed late, after watching sponge bob with my youngest, play or bake for a bit, get her off to school, clean, etc and then work when she'd gone to bed at night. Excellent for the family, terrible for my social skills. 'Um' became my most used word when talking to adults.

Now I'm working in the city and in a huge organisation and in a huge building, the biggest of its kind in Europe in fact, and I am having my skills tested constantly and on a daily basis. I decided positivity was the only way forward and that, at an age where I do know better, I have decided to keep my gob shut when other people tell me what my opinion should be in the hope that they think I'm actually agreeing with them, while safe in the knowledge that I'm doing no such thing.

I don't mind hoicking my rump into work because I can do my job well, I feel valued and I can make a difference. I dislike waking up at 6.15 intensely and the clients are, um, lacking in social skills. Aw well, you can't have it all. Can you?

You can't have it all. I once said that to a millionaire and he just grinned at me. Yeah yeah, so he had a luxury car, a number of houses, handmade shoes etc, but he didn't have... um. OK. so you can have it all.

No comments: